Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Thanksgiving: Florida vs Maryland.



Charlene and I come from two very different cultural backgrounds. Mine with a Greek/ Scottish/Swedish thing going on, and Charlene's from a Taiwanese/East Asia heritage.

My arrival in Florida heralded mostly my mom cooking and complaining we never help her. (A montage, I feel, that happens every year--- thanks Mom!). With a full menu planned, the preparation for Thanksgiving Day commenced!

Thanksgiving in the Sunshine State:




Thanksgiving in Maryland:
A few days before Thanksgiving, my mom calls and the following conversation ensues:
mom: "do you want duck or turkey for Thanksgiving?"
me: "Oooh, duck sounds good and interesting."
mom: "somebody* wants turkey, but your aunts and cousins**don't really care for it"
me: "well then, let's have both"
And that is how my family makes a holiday full of excess and gluttony even more fattening. Because we can't agree on what to eat, we just bring everything we like. Here's a sample:
*my brother is a staunch traditionalist when it comes to the holidays
**some of my family members didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving

0 comments:

Post a Comment